Update 10/9/12: The course has been marked with a few small changes updated below. Parking is at the Hart Barn & Ski Center on Lowell Rd.
The Trail Animals Running Club is putting on a 10K, half-marathon, marathon, and 50K in the Great Brook Farm State Park which is only a few minutes from my house. Despite the close proximity to my home, I had yet to go to this park. Wow, have I been missing out!
I signed up for the 50K and decided to preview the course based on information posted on the web. The 50K is 5 laps of mostly single track with some sections of gravel/fire roads. PDF of the course TARC Fall Classic Course 2012.
A few observations that I had about the course (all turns are well marked with signs and pink flagging along the trails).
- I did not notice the left turn at Junction 3 and cut off the small loop.
- Junction 6 is a hard left hand turn with three options, take the far left turn.
- At the top of Indian Hill at Junction 33, there is a hard left hand turn.
- Coming on the straight section just before the bridge it is easy to miss the right turn to get to the bridge just before Junction 10.
- Junction 30 is tricky. Take the hard left on the way out which will bring you back to the same Junction and again take a left.
- Junction 7 has a few side trails around.
Follow the blue triangles!Take a hard right hand turn on an unmapped trail that rejoins the Woodchuck trail near the top of the hill.
- The turn onto Stone Row before Junction 8 is a left hand hairpin turn. There is a downhill coming into this turn so it is easy to carry speed. Turn left at the Stone Row sign.
- A short distance after Junction 32 (didn’t see a junction marker but the T junction is obvious) there are rock steps down a hill, which are easy to miss. Stay to the right of a waist-high rock and down the stone stairs.
A few pictures to help the visually oriented. Sorry for the blurry images.